Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Silky Smooth VS Nigga Naps

So for some reason I straightened my hair last week. I said its because I wanted to see how it would it look. Which is true. But I also did it for a special occasion. I was falling back on that old standard...that I don't look my best without straight hair.
And I found, I did not like it! I missed my fro! And I'm glad that I got rained on yesterday so that I could come home and wash out the heat and the concoction that I put in it over the span of those few days.

As far as my hair journey is concerned...I'm progressing with baby steps. I've found what works for me to bring out my natural curl pattern, fooling people into thinking I have a texturizer haha, but that is it! I'm ready to try some styles. My swami has inspired me as she usually does with her beautiful locks and tips on things to do with them.
I just find it funny, especially now with more hair awareness going on in movies, magazines, etc. that I felt I had to fall back on that old standard. Or that my straighter hair seemed more accepted to those I work with or people on the street. I even got more attention from men, which is funny! Since I know they like long hair. And my do was rather short haha.
And as cute as I find my hair when its in fro-form...supposedly I have nigga naps! Like that's what natural hair is for some of those same people who fall into that straight is better stigma.
I dunno. Maybe I'm just being sensitive and letting bullshit get to me. When really, I feel very comfortable and empowered by how I wear my hair now.

2 comments:

  1. Your hair is BEAUTIFUL. And nappy isn't necessarily a bad word...at least it doesn't have to be. Embrace your naps, curls, and coils. Get to know your hair. You don't have to fool anyone that you have a texturizer...that's no better than a perm. Your hair is beautiful just the way it is without any products.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Nice Informative I recently came across your blog and your blog is really so helpful to me to treat my hair treatment

    ReplyDelete